Sunday, January 5, 2014

Shrimp Mousse

When I first told my younger sister I was making shrimp mousse the name threw her off, but she being someone who will eat a whole tray of shrimp on her own if you put one out and don’t watch her, she wanted to know what this recipe was all about. This is a recipe I remember my mom making whenever we had company over and I LOVED it. She’d always have to hold me and my younger sister back from eating it all before she can even offer to the guests. Obviously my younger sister did not remember this and was surprised by how much she loves it all over again.

For this recipes I have a plastic mold in a dome shape, if you dont have one you can use a bowl lined with plastic wrap (you only need plastic wrap in the case that you're using a bowl, my mold is made for this so it has a lid that you remove at the end to relieve suction so that the mold will come out with ease.) My mold measures 8 inches across and is 4 inches deep.
 
 
 
After being refrigerated for at least 2 hours to firm up, you flip it over onto a plate and serve with any crackers you would like, I suggest a cracker that does not have too much flavour so that you don’t overpower the taste of the shrimp mold (I use stoneground crackers). Though it does turn gelatinous there also remains a nice creamy texture that easily spreads on crackers. Has to be one of my favourite snacks.
 
 
 
Ingredients
 
  • 1 can campbells tomato soup
  • 8oz philedelphia cream cheese
  • 1pkg knox gelatin
  • approx. 1/8 cup water (to soften gelatin)
  • 1 can cocktail shrimp, mashed
  • 3/4 cup celery, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup mayonaise
Directions
 
  1. In a sauce pan stir cream cheese until melted
  2. Mix in tomato soup
  3. Soften gelatin by pouring water onto a plate and sprinkling the gelatin over top, let sit for a few minutes to soak up the water
  4. Add gelatin to cheese mixture and let stand to cool down while you prepare your vegetables
  5. Mash shrimp and add to mixture along with onion and celery, stir in mayonaise
  6. Pour into mold and let sit for at least 2 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment