Thursday, November 28, 2013

Corn Bread

Corn bread is something I don’t often get, and really don’t remember trying at all though my mom said she used to make it for me when I was younger so I decided that I wanted to try making a batch on my own. My parents were telling me about this amazing corn bread they used to get at a restaurant with jalapeños in it which sounds good to me because I love spicy but I decided first I wanted to get a basic recipe down.
 
This recipe turned out to be sooo yummy! It’s sweet and moist, I must say it was almost like a pound cake and was just perfect smothered in butter. When I pulled it out of the oven no one could wait to eat it so we had it warm with melted butter and it was delicious just like that, but I also had some the next morning and it was just as incredible cold.
 
This must be one of the simplest recipes I’ve ever made, takes 5-10 minutes to put together then you just pop it in the oven. The given time in the oven worked perfectly for me each time I made it so you should need to worry about more or less time in the oven unless you use a different size pan.
 
Once baked it’s my preference to cut once down the middle then in the other direction in about  inch wide slices, of course then you need a pad of butter to semi melt on top leaving just a little layer of un-melted butter to stay cool in contrast to the warm sweet bread.
 
 
Ingredients
 
·         ½ cup unsalted butter
·         2/3 cup sugar
·         2 eggs
·         1 cup buttermilk (I use half milk and half sour cream because they're more readily on hand)
·         ½ cup cornmeal
·         1 cup all-purpose flour
·         ½ t baking soda
·         ½ t salt
 
Directions
1.      Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and generously grease an 8” square baking dish
2.      Melt butter in a medium sized  saucepan
3.      Remove melted butter from heat and stir in the sugar using a whisk. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended.
4.      Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into pan. (Side note: do not mix these two ingredients before starting to melt butter. The baking soda and acidic buttermilk will react immediately to create CO2, and if mixed too early, you will end up with buttermilk that has doubled in volume and flat cornbread.)
5.      Stir in cornmeal, flour and salt until well blended. Pour in to prepared dish.
6.      Bake about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment